BRIDGETOWN, Barbados, Tuesday March 28, 2017 – From American Music Awards to Billboard Music Awards, Grammys, Style Icon Awards and, most recently, the Harvard’s Humanitarian of the Year Award, Rihanna has won it all.
While she is most famous for her singing accolades here are 10 facts you may not have known about this daughter of the ‘Gem of the Caribbean Sea’, as Barbados is affectionately referred to by locals.
- Rihanna is really her middle name. Her full name is Robyn Rihanna Fenty.
- At the age of 16, she was signed to DEF JAM records by Jay-Z.
- Barbados celebrates “Rihanna Day” in her honour on her birthday, February 20.
- Singing was not her only interest while she was in high school. Rihanna was also a military cadet.
- Rihanna attended the Combermere School in Barbados. In 2004, Rihanna won the Miss Combermere School beauty pageant.
- Rihanna’s legs were insured for $1 million after she was named the recipient of Gillette’s Venus Breeze “Celebrity Legs of a Goddess” Award in 2007.
- In 2007, she was became the official face of tourism for Barbados and she now holds the honorary title of Ambassador for Culture and Youth.
- The Barbadian singer has at least of 25 tattoos, including the birthdate of her best friend Melissa on her shoulder and most noted the Goddess Isis on her chest.
- Rihanna boasts a total of seven wax figurines at Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museums around the world. They are located in Berlin, Hollywood, Las Vegas, Washington D.C., London, Sydney, and Vienna.
- Rihanna’s 3rd Annual Diamond Ball will be held on September 14, for the first time in New York City at Cipriani Wall Street.