Police had info prior to fatal grenade attack in Belize

Police had info prior to fatal grenade attack in Belize

BELMOPAN, Belize, December 30, 2009 – A 14-year-old boy in Belize was killed and two men injured in a hand grenade attack. And as police look for the person who threw the explosive device, the country’s top cop says information received by lawmen had indicated that such an attack might take place.

Soon after Monday night’s explosion, Rudolph Flowers succumbed to the massive injuries he received. According to a police report, the teenager was left with a hole in the left side of his ribcage.

He and 32-year-old Kenneth Barrow were in a yard located on the southside of Belize City when someone threw a hand grenade inside. Flowers, whom police said was closest to where it landed, received the most injuries. Barrow sustained puncture injuries to the inner right thigh, back and left foot.  Leon Williams, 28, who was walking along the street at the time, received injuries to the right thumb and right knee.

Commissioner of Police Crispin Jeffries told local television station LoveFM that the attack may have been part of ongoing rivalry between two groups. He revealed that police had received information prior to the incident.

“We have been picking up information for some time now that there was intention to throw a grenade in the Kraal Road Area. We have been working on that; we have been patrolling the area and we have been targeting the area now for at least two weeks,” he said. “This is obviously a culmination of that.”

When police went to the scene of the crime, they found a crater and pellet holes all around a cement fence. A grenade safety pin was also retrieved.

“We believe that that hand grenade, from what we have recently recovered, is in fact a part of a grenade similar to the type we have seen before from among those stolen from the British army,” Commissioner Jeffries said.

Bomb expert with the Belize Defence Force, Lieutenant-Colonel David Jones, added that the grenade was similar to that used in a previous attack in front the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital and another thrown on top the home of the Comptroller of Customs.

He said had the grenade not been thrown into an enclosed area, there would have been more casualties.

The two men who were injured in the attack have been discharged from hospital. A post-mortem is to be carried out on the body of the deceased teenager.