UN boss appeals for massive Haiti aid
NEW YORK, United States, Friday December 3, 2010 – United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today called on the international community to provide immediate massive aid to Haiti to fight a deadly cholera epidemic raging through the impoverished country, warning that hundreds of thousands of lives are at risk.
“Clearly, it will continue to spread, unfortunately,” he told an informal meeting of the General Assembly, noting that the epidemic could affect as many as 650,000 people in the next six months, and that the current toll may already be twice as high as the over 1,800 deaths and nearly 81,000 cases reported so far.
A UN appeal launched three weeks ago for UD$164 million is only 20 percent funded as the Haitian Government, UN agencies and the humanitarian community seek to provide treatment and put preventive measures in place, supplying water-purification materials, carrying out large-scale public information campaigns, and helping to build treatment centres.
“One thing is clear,” Ban said. “Admirable as they may be, these collective efforts are simply not sufficient. Without a massive and immediate international response, we will be overwhelmed. The lives of hundreds of thousands of people are at risk. And it is up to us to act, with maximum speed and full resources.”
The appeal was repeated by Assembly President Joseph Deiss, who told the 192-member body that efforts to prevent the spread of the epidemic cannot wait.
“In the current circumstances, the international community must do everything within its power to help the Haitian authorities and people,” he said. “Urgent action must be taken to meet the humanitarian challenges and ease the suffering of the Haitian population.”
Ban cited the urgent need for more cholera treatment centres, both large and small, and more trained medical and non-medical personnel to run them to minimize the fatality rate, which he noted had decreased over the past six weeks from 7.6 percent to 3.6 percent in a country that is still reeling from an earthquake in January that killed 200,000 people and rendered some 1.3 million others homeless.
The UN World Health Organization (WHO) and its regional arm, the Pan-American Health Organization (PAHO), estimate that an additional 350 doctors, 2,000 nurses and 2,200 support staff will be required over the next three months, in addition to the 300 medical personnel that Cuba has already committed.
Some 30,000 community health workers and volunteers also need to be trained to help staff an estimated 15,000 oral re-hydration points, while still others are required to promote better hygiene in camps and communities. Cholera is spread through contaminated food and water – due to poor access to safe water, inadequate sanitation and high population density in the camps.
Click here to receive free news bulletins via email from Caribbean360. ( )