Bravo takes blame for Windies exit
PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad, Thursday July 11, 2013 - Captain of the West Indies One Day International (ODI) team Dwayne Bravo has accepted part of the blame for the regional side being knocked out of the Celkon Mobile Cup Tri Series.
West Indies were on the brink of securing a place in the final after successive wins over Sri Lanka and India on the Jamaica leg.
However Bravo’s men did not carry their winnings ways to Trinidad and when India beat Sri Lanka by 81 runs on the Duckworth/Lewis method they were denied a berth in the finals.
“Yeah obviously it (being captain) is a big responsibility and the performance of the team reflects on the captain,” Bravo told a news conference in Port of Spain on Wednesday.
“I myself, whether it is due to injury or slow over rates, have some key things I need to work on as a leader. It is a new form to me, a new role so I have to get accustomed to it and address it as quickly as possible”.
Stand-in captain Kieron Pollard had earlier criticized as disappointing West Indies 39 run loss to Sri Lanka on Monday.
Pollard, who had scored a four-ball duck, was also critical of batsmen after Windies bowlers and given the team an advantage by taking early wickets.
Bravo has echoed the sentiments of his countryman and team mate that the Windies batting department needs to show more consistency.
“It is always difficult to point, to pick out what went wrong, but together as a team we have to take responsibility of a very disappointing end to a very good start,” Bravo told reporters.
“You know, we are too inconsistent as a team. We show signs of improvement and then we take a step backwards. I think that is something that we definitely need to try and iron out as early as possible in order for us to move up in the rankings of ODI cricket”. (CMC) Click here to receive free news bulletins via email from Caribbean360. (View sample)