Thousands of cholera cases confirmed in Haiti since passage of Sandy
GENEVA, Switzerland, Tuesday November 20, 2012 – The number of cholera cases in the French speaking Caribbean Community (CARICOM) country of Haiti is on the increase, according to the International Organization for Migration (IOM).
The organization says Haitian officials have confirmed 3,593 cholera cases and another 837 suspected cases since the passage of Hurricane Sandy late last month.
Although the disaster-ravaged country was spared the full brunt of the hurricane, it was pounded by heavy rain, causing flooding and mudslides, for several days afterwards.
IOM spokesman Jumbe Omari Jumbe told reporters “the numbers are going up” particularly in camps around the capital, Port-au-Prince.
He said his organization has responded by handing out about 10,000 cholera kits in 31 camps “badly hit by cholera in the area.”
Cholera is a bacterial infection that spreads through water, and Haiti’s lack of proper sanitation and sewage systems makes the country more vulnerable.
Residents in Haiti have blamed the UN Peacekeepers from Nepal for introducing the disease into the country. The first case was recorded in October 2012 and more than 7,000 cases have been recorded since then. (CMC) Click here to receive free news bulletins via email from Caribbean360. (View sample)