Antigua security minister to meet police amid escalating gun crime

ST. JOHN’S, Antigua, Monday December 31, 2012 – National Security Minister Dr. Errol Cort will meet with senior officials of the Antigua and Barbuda Police Force on Wednesday to deal with the upsurge in criminal activities specially gun related crimes on the island.

Cort, who said he has ordered a full investigation into two incidents in which murder suspects were able to escape from police custody earlier this month, has termed the situation “wholly unacceptable”.

A government statement quoted Cort as saying that “the Crime Fighting Strategic Plan will be critically reviewed” at the meeting with the police on Wednesday.

Antigua and Barbuda recorded its 10th murder for the year on Sunday after the body of 52-year-old St. Vincent and the Grenadines national, Michael “Rooky” Medica, was found with gunshot wounds to the head.

Police have also confirmed that two men, wanted in connection with a double murder in October were able to escape after being arrested in the neighbouring island of Montserrat.

Media reports said that the suspect in the execution-style double murder of two Dominican nationals, overpowered two police officials upon landing at the VC Bird International Airport shortly on Sunday December 23.

“Minister Cort has expressed grave concern at the circumstances surrounding both incidents and  has been in constant contact with the police, who have been, and continue to provide updates on the situation. Minister Cort wishes to assure the public that everything is being done to recapture these two men,” the statement said. (CMC) Click here to receive free news bulletins via email from Caribbean360. (View sample)