FLORIDA, United States, Thursday June 1, 2017 – Today marks the official start of the 2017 Atlantic hurricane season, but no tropical cyclones are expected during at least the next five days, according to the National Hurricane Centre (NHC).
The season, which will run until November 30, could be above normal, with an average of 12 named storms, six hurricanes and three major hurricanes. Forecasters say there is a 45 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 35 percent chance of a near-normal season, and only a 20 percent chance of a below-normal season.
An average season produces 12 named storms of which six become hurricanes, including three major hurricanes.
According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, there is a 70 percent likelihood of 11 to 17 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher), of which 5 to 9 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 2 to 4 major hurricanes (Category 3, 4 or 5; winds of 111 mph or higher).
One tropical cyclone, Tropical Storm Arlene, already formed this year in April. The next named storm that forms this season will be Bret. The last three years have featured preseason storms, including Arlene, Hurricane Alex (January 2016) and Tropical Storm Ana (May 2015).
Here’s a look at the other names that will be given to storms that form in the Atlantic this hurricane season.
Here’s the 2017 list of Atlantic tropical cyclone names and how to pronounce them. Arlene formed in April, so the next storm will be Bret. pic.twitter.com/aE6x2Zsb1u
— NHC Atlantic Ops (@NHC_Atlantic) June 1, 2017
This year’s “I” storm will be Irma instead of the now-retired Irene used six years ago.