BRIDGETOWN, Barbados, Thursday, June 2, 2016 – Weekly direct flights from Sao Paulo, Brazil to Barbados are being suspended.
The Barbados Tourism Marketing Inc. (BTMI) announced that the service would be put on hold effective August 28, following a recent meeting between a team led by Minister of Tourism and International Transport, Richard Sealy, and executives from the Brazilian-based GOL, Brazil’s largest airline.
No reason has been given for the development, though Minister Sealy said it was a mutually agreed decision.
He expressed continued optimism about the Latin America market.
“We remain optimistic that Brazil and, by extension, Latin America, is a market with a bright future, and I have made this clear to the GOL leadership. The deferment is, therefore, a chance to refocus and regroup in order that we can continue to develop this very promising market,” Sealy stated.
Chief Commercial Officer for GOL, Eduardo Bernardes Neto, said he believed the service could be regularized in the not too distant future, as Barbados remained an attractive destination for Brazilian travellers.
“The airline has made some tough decisions in the past several months, including reducing frequencies to several of its top destinations [but] despite the difficult Brazilian political-economic scenario, GOL still believes in Barbados’ market potential,” he said.
GOL began its service to Barbados in 2010, and since then, 26,766 persons have flown into the island on the carrier.