GEORGETOWN, Guyana, September 17, 2007 – Guyana police along with the FBI have questioned two more Shiite Muslims in connection with an alleged scheme to bomb New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport.
Guyana acting police commissioner, Henry Greene told the Stabroek News did not identify the men to the Stabroek News but revealed that the two were interviewed last month.
He, however, said the men at this time have not been arrested. One of the two reportedly resides in Linden, while the other lives on the East Coast Demerara.
Guyanese-born, U.S. citizen, JFK terror suspect, Russell DeFreitas, along with Kareem Ibrahim, Abdul Nur and Abdul Kadir were indicted by a grand jury in the Eastern District of New York in July after federal prosecutors’ claim they plotted to blow up fuel lines at the John F. Kennedy International Airport.
Prosecutors say the plot dated back to January 2006 and apparently is linked to the Trinidad-based Jaamat Al Mulimeen. The plot did not involve airplanes or passenger terminals and officials insisted it was in the earliest stages of planning and the plotters had not yet bought any explosives.
Defreitas, a former cargo worker at the airport, remains jailed in New York and will appear in court later this month. The other suspects are currently fighting extradition from the twin-island of Trinidad and Tobago, where they are currently incarcerated. Defreitas is reported to have surveyed the airport where he “identified targets and escape routes and assessed airport security.” He and his co-conspirators are also alleged to have accessed “satellite photographs of JFK airport and its facilities from the Internet.”
Defreitas remains in a federal jail and is set to undergo a psychological analysis while his alleged co-conspirators are set to be extradited to face the charges with him. – Hardbeatnews.com