CASTRIES, St. Lucia, Monday April 13, 2015, CMC – The St. Lucia government has announced changes to the operations at the Castries Health Centre following an upsurge in murders near the facility in the past few days.
The Ministry of Health, Wellness, Human Services and Gender Relations said the changes are “to facilitate the revision of security arrangements to ensure the safety of clients and staff of the Castries Health Center”.
Police are now investigating the fifth murder in eight days with the latest victim being 31-year-old Micah Joseph who was gunned down near the main market in the capital on Sunday.
Police said while they had no motive for the latest killings, they nonetheless believe it may have been gang-related.
No one has been arrested for the latest killing but police said they have so far detained four people in connection with the other murders committed last week.
St. Lucia recorded its first murder for 2015 last week.
The Ministry of Health, Wellness, Human Services and Gender Relations said it was urging the public to cooperate with the new security arrangements as well as the change in venue for services until April 17.