Hurricane Dorian Body Count in The Bahamas Rising

A forensics team recovering bodies from a collapsed church in Marsh Harbour, the Bahamas town badly hit by Hurricane Dorian. (Photo Credit: Daniele Volpe/The New York Times)

NASSAU, The Bahamas, Monday September 9, 2019 – The death toll from Hurricane Dorian in the Bahamian islands of Abaco and Grand Bahama continues to rise, reaching 45 up to yesterday.

The Royal Bahamas Police Force (RBPF) said that up to yesterday, 37 bodies had been found in Abaco, which Hurricane Dorian hit first, and the other eight in Grand Bahama which would pounded by the Category 5 hurricane for more than 30 hours.

“We anticipate the discovery of more bodies as the process of search and recovery progresses,” it said in a statement.

“There are many more persons presumed missing and we are appealing to the public to file Missing Persons reports, with the police, of those persons who have not been seen since the passage of Hurricane Dorian. We offer condolences to those families who have had loved ones die during the storm. And every effort is being made along with our local and international law enforcement partners to bring closure,” the RBPF added.

The Ministry of Social Services and Urban Development said a dedicated phone line (323-1877) has been established at the Disaster Management Unit, Department of Social Services, for use by those members of the public wishing to register the name(s) of family members whom they have been unable to contact since the passage of Hurricane Dorian.

Click here to receive news via email from Caribbean360. (View sample)