*UPDATE: At 2 p.m., the NHC said Tropical Storm Isaac was becoming less organized over the eastern Caribbean Sea. The tropical storm watches for St. Martin, St. Maarten, Saba and St. Eustatius were discontinued.
FLORIDA, United States, Thursday September 13, 2018 – A state of emergency was yesterday evening declared in Dominica ahead of Tropical Storm Isaac’s arrival, but the system tracked through the Caribbean today as a minimal storm which brought rain to some islands.
The National Hurricane Centre (NHC) in Miami said the centre of the minimal storm passed between Dominica and Martinique this morning and it is continuing to track through the Eastern Caribbean.
At 11 a.m., Tropical Storm Isaac, with maximum sustained winds down to near 45 miles per hour, was located about 50 mile southwest of Dominica and about 100 miles south southwest of Guadeloupe and moving towards the west at about 20 miles per hour. It’s expected to continue on a westward path through the Caribbean into the weekend.
The NHC said Isaac is not expected to change in strength today, but it could weaken further on Friday as it moves deeper into the Caribbean.
“It is entirely possible that Isaac will degenerate into a tropical wave during the next day or two due to the continued effects of strong shear. However, the environment becomes much more conducive for increased organization in a few days when the cyclone, or its remnants, moves across the west-central Caribbean Sea,” it said.
A tropical storm warning remains in effect for Martinique, Dominica and Guadeloupe, while a tropical storm watch is in effect for Antigua and Barbuda, Montserrat, St. Kitts and Nevis, Saba and St. Eustatius and St. Martin and St. Maarten.
Isaac is expected to produce tropical-storm-force winds across portions of the Lesser Antilles into this afternoon.
The Dominica government had declared a state of emergency, beginning at midnight yesterday and continuing until noon tomorrow, as the island prepared for Isaac.
An island wide curfew was also announced and residents were warned that those who broke curfew would be arrested.
National Security Minister Raymond Blackmoore, who made the announcement, said the decision had been taken to ensure the safety of all.