Jamaica government dismisses media reports of first Ebola case

Tablet with the text Ebola on the displayKINGSTON, Jamaica, Friday December 7, 2014, CMC – Jamaica health authorities have dismissed reports that the island had recorded its first case of the deadly Ebola virus that has killed more than 7,000 people in West Africa.

“The South East Regional Health Authority (SERHA) wishes to offer some clarification as it pertains to media reports that such a patient was being treated at the KPH (Kingston Public Hospital),” SERHA said in a statement.

There had been reports that the individual had been brought to the Accident and Emergency Department at the KPH for treatment after complaining of feeling ill.

SERHA said the patient was screened and taken to the isolation area in the hospital as is done routinely for anyone who is suspected of having any infectious disease.

It said that the health team donned protective gear in accordance with the established universal protocol for medical evaluation of patients displaying symptoms similar to an infectious disease.

SERA said that the patient had no travel history or any contact with individuals from any of the Ebola-affected countries.

It said that the patient was treated and released.