NASA responds to predictions of catastrophic asteroid impact and tsunami near Puerto Rico

City on earth destroyed by meteor shower - 3D artwork -conceptua

LONDON, England, Wednesday June 10, 2015 – End-of-time predictors have claimed that a massive asteroid hurtling towards Earth will destroy civilization as we know it in September.

They are predicting a cataclysmic event that will trigger a major earthquake and tsunami and will sound humanity’s death knell in just three months’ time, The Mirror reports.

The rapid proliferation of the prediction has now prompted NASA to speak out and dismiss the theory as unfounded.

“NASA knows of no asteroid or comet currently on a collision course with Earth, so the probability of a major collision is quite small,” a NASA spokesperson said.

“In fact, as best as we can tell, no large object is likely to strike the Earth any time in the next several hundred years.”

Conspiracy theorists on numerous blogs and websites have come up with the period between September 22 and September 28 as the likely time frame for the “impending catastrophe.”

Some biblical theorists maintain that the events will initiate the Rapture and the start of the seven-year Tribulation.

Others believe the events will spark the emergence of the so-called Illuminati-sponsored New World Order (NWO), which will take charge of world affairs.

 

Despite NASA’s dismissal, the conspiracy theorists believe that governments of the world’s leading nations are aware of the “impending disaster” and are keeping the information secret to prevent mass panic.

Veterans Today reports that self-proclaimed prophet Reverend Efrain Rodriguez made the original prediction back in 2010 after getting a message from God.

According to Reverend Rodriguez, the asteroid will crash into the ocean off Puerto Rico during the night, triggering a massive earthquake and a tsunami that will advance at 400 miles per hour, destroying everything in its path.

The tsunami will go on to devastate the East Coast of the United States, Mexico, Central and South America, Rodriguez added, urging NASA to issue an alert “so people can be relocated from the areas that are to be affected.”

US-based Veterans Today noted that such a disaster was “not an end-of-the-world event, but one that would likely kill millions this side of the Atlantic and send the world economy into a tailspin.”

Meanwhile, although the latest claims of a killer asteroid are apparently unfounded, scientists have long said that these space rocks pose a major threat to Earth.

“There is an asteroid with our name on it and it will hit us,” Professor Brian Cox told Britain’s MailOnline.

Earth had a “near-miss” only a few months ago.

“We didn’t see it,” Professor Cox said. “We saw it on the way out, but if it had just been a bit further over it would have probably wiped us out. These things happen.”

The bus-sized asteroid, named 2014 EC, came within 38,300 (61,637 km) miles of Earth in March, and it wasn’t the only one threatening Earth.

NASA is currently tracking 1,400 “potentially hazardous asteroids” and predicting their future approaches and impact probabilities, the Mail reports.

So serious is the threat that former astronaut Ed Lu has described it as “cosmic roulette” and said that only “blind luck” has so far saved humanity from a serious impact.

Click here to receive free news bulletins via email from Caribbean360. (View sample)