No Quarantine, Cholera or Epidemics in The Bahamas post-Hurricane Dorian

While floods can potentially increase the transmission of water-borne and communicable diseases, both PAHO and the Ministry of Health in the Bahamas say there have not been any detected cholera cases, nor any increased number of infectious diseases.

NASSAU, The Bahamas, Monday September 9, 2019 – Despite health concerns in the aftermath of Hurricane Dorian, the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) is assuring that no cholera or any other epidemics have been found in The Bahamas.

And it says none of the islands is under quarantine.

Abaco and Grand Bahama experienced severe flooding – with some communities left completely under water – after Hurricane Dorian battered the two islands last week.

And while floods can potentially increase the transmission of water-borne and communicable diseases, both PAHO and the Ministry of Health in the Bahamas say there have not been any detected cholera cases, nor any increased number of infectious diseases.

“The Ministry of Health and PAHO recommends that the population in the affected areas drink and use safe water and also continue to practice good hygiene such as hand washing to prevent water-borne diseases,” the two said in a joint statement. “After a disaster the priority is to care for the survivors.”

And in response to concerns about dead bodies remaining, the statement noted that “contrary to common belief, there is no evidence that corpses pose a significant risk of disease epidemics. This is because most agents e.g., virus and bacteria do not survive long in the human body after death.”

The Ministry of Health said it is monitoring the health situation closely and will keep the public updated.

Click here to receive news via email from Caribbean360. (View sample)