Regional Team To Continue Rebuilding Efforts in Barbuda

Hurricane Irma caused widespread devastation in Barbuda in September last year.

 

ST JOHN’S, Antigua, Wednesday February 14, 2018 – A 25-member regional team will be in Barbuda next week to assist with the rebuilding efforts following the devastation caused by Hurricane Irma last September.

The National Office of Disaster Services (NODS) will receive assistance from a 12-member delegation from Jamaica, along with 13 individuals from the Regional Security System (RSS).

They will join a ten-member Antigua and Barbuda Defence Force team that is already carrying out work in Barbuda along with local contractors.

The focus is now on homes categorized as Levels One and Two – those that received minor damage, public buildings and properties belonging to persons who work in the critical services namely teachers, airport staff, among others. In all, 82 houses have been repaired.

Meanwhile, Operations Officer within the Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) Major Alando Michael says clean-up of the properties on Barbuda continues. Electricity has been restored to several homes after they were assessed and then verified by APUA. The Sir McChesney George Secondary School has been reopened and caters for 58 primary and secondary students.

Major Michael says work has started on getting the Antigua Commercial Bank operational this week.

In addition, security personnel are now operating from the airport and customs and immigration are expected to be installed shortly. The River Dock is also opened to the ferry, small cargo vessels and barges.

 Click here to receive news via email from Caribbean360. (View sample)