The Search and Rescue Effort in The Bahamas After A Fatal Plane Crash Comes to An End

Some of the debris said to be from the wrecked plane, discovered in waters off Mastic Point, North Andros. (Photo Credit: Nassau Guardian/Torrell Glinton)

 

NASSAU, The Bahamas, Monday January 22, 2018 – Authorities have ended their search for the parts of a plane that crashed in The Bahamas last week and the bodies of the victims.

A small amount of debris were recovered from the crash that occurred last Wednesday morning, shortly after the Piper Aztec plane took off from the airport on the Bahamian island of Andros, en route to Nassau.

Those who perished in the crash were the 42-year-old pilot, Darren Clarke; Margaret Adderley, 49; Valentino Cardinal Knowles, who was in his 30s; Carter Campbell, in his 50s; and Desiree Russell and her 10-year-old daughter, Destinique Wilson.

Officials said the six-seater plane disintegrated on impact with the water, approximately four miles southeast of the Mastic Point Settlement in North Andros.

The Air Accident Investigation Department (AAID) said it called off the search because it was unlikely the remaining debris would be found.

“As the complete aircraft could not be located and retrieved, no further analysis can be conducted on the aircraft,” it said in a statement. “Subsequently, the search and rescue effort was officially terminated.”

Search and rescue teams with assistance from the Royal Bahamas Defence Force, the United States Coast Guard and Bahamas Air Sea Rescue Association, as well as other aircraft from Nassau and local boaters in Andros, had participated in the search for the missing aircraft and its occupants.

 Click here to receive news via email from Caribbean360. (View sample)