Trinidad health authorities say Nigerian student has malaria, not Ebola

Digital illustration of Ebola virus in   colour backgroundPORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad, Sunday December 21, 2014, CMC – The Trinidad & Tobago Ministry of Health said that a Nigerian national was suffering with malaria fever and not Ebola after he was admitted to the Port of Spain General Hospital on Friday.

In a statement, the Ministry said that it “wished to advise that there is no suspected case of Ebola in Trinidad and Tobago at this time”.

It said that on Friday, the Nigerian student was seen at the Accident & Emergency Department of the St James Medical Complex and was transferred to the Port of Spain General Hospital for further management.”

The Ministry of Health said that the student had complained of fever and vomiting but he had not travelled outside of Nigeria for over one year prior to arriving in Trinidad earlier this month.

“The patient is suspected to have malaria and is stable and investigations were performed to confirm this diagnosis,” the statement said, reminding locals that the World Health Organisation (WHO) had declared Nigeria to be free of Ebola.

It said that restrictions on persons travelling from Nigeria to Trinidad and Tobago were lifted since October 22, 2014.

“Travel restrictions, however, remain in effect for countries with widespread Ebola” and also assured that “health personnel at points of entry and medical institutions remain vigilant for imported cases of Ebola. The Ministry of Health also wishes to reaffirm our commitment to collaborating with other stake-holders with the common goal of protecting the health of the people of Trinidad and Tobago”.

There is no known cure for the Ebola virus which has killed more than 7,000 people mainly in West Africa.

Click here to receive free news bulletins via email from Caribbean360. (View sample)