T&T attorney general concerned about increase in murders

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, Friday December 30, 2011 –Attorney General Anand Ramlogan said the crime plan implemented in the wake of the State of Emergency has failed.

And, he wants Commissioner of Police Canadian Dwayne Gibbs to present his 2012 plan to ensure that murders are kept to a minimum.

At least 15 people have been killed since the SoE ended December 5 – eight of them during the Christmas holiday weekend.

“There should have been some plans to deal with it, anticipate it and that is why perhaps it’s a little troubling at this time,” the attorney general told a media conference yesterday.

“…The government is very concerned in the spike of the murder rate post State of Emergency. I for one am very anxious to hear from the Commissioner of Police who had the benefit of a year to settle into the job and who we hoped to have brought fresh ideas and new perspective to be able to help us to solve the crime problem.”

Ramlogan said the matter would likely be discussed at an upcoming meeting of the National Security Council.
 
While noting that the murder rate was now lower than the previous three years, he said there was clear evidence that the SoE, which was in effect from August 21, saved lives.

More than 350 people have been murdered for the year so far,   117 more than in 2010. Click here to receive free news bulletins via email from Caribbean360. (View sample)