NEW YORK, United States, Tuesday February 24, 2015 – The Caribbean held its own when respected travel site Trip Advisor announced the winners of its annual Travelers’ Choice awards for the world’s best beaches last week.
Bagging three spots on the top 10, the Caribbean was led by Grace Bay in Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands, which earned its ranking as the No. 2 Travellers’ Choice beach in the world for the second year in a row.
Cuba’s Paradise Beach, known locally as Playa Paraiso, on Cayo Largo del Sur, took fourth place, while Flamenco Beach on Isla Culebra, off the east coast of Puerto Rico, was ranked eighth on the beast beaches list.
Three other regional beaches scored well in the top 25 rankings, with Honduras’ West Bay Beach, Venezuela’s Cayo de Agua, and Aruba’s Palm-Eagle Beach snagging 15th, 16th and 23rd place respectively.
Earning the coveted No. 1 spot on the global list for the second year in a row was Baia do Sancho on the Brazilian island of Fernando de Noronha, off the coast of Fortaleza.
As one reviewer explained: “As you walk through a small trail, you can’t imagine what awaits you. The heavenly view seems like a mirage.”
Italy completed the top three, with Rabbit Beach on the island of Lampedusa nudging out competition from the Seychelles, Philippines and Australia.
The Seychelles, where the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge honeymooned, got the thumbs-up in the top 10, with Anse Lazio beach on Praslin Island taking sixth place and described by reviewers as “picture perfect in every way.”
Trip Advisor’s Travelers’ Choice awards are based on the quantity and quality of traveller reviews for beaches gathered over a 12-month period.
TRIP ADVISOR’S TOP 25 BEACHES IN THE WORLD
1. Baia do Sancho, Fernando de Noronha, Brazil
2. Grace Bay, Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
3. Rabbit Beach, Lampedusa, Italy
4. Playa Paraiso Beach, Cayo Largo, Cuba
5. Playa de Ses Illetes, Formentera, Spain
6. Anse Lazio, Praslin Island, Seychelles
7. White Beach, Boracay, Philippines
8. Flamenco Beach, Culebra, Puerto Rico
9. Whitehaven Beach, Whitsunday Island, Australia
10. Elafonissi Beach, Elafonissi, Greece
11. Camp’s Bay Beach, Camps Bay, South Africa
12. Radhanagar Beach, Havelock Island, India
13. Woolacombe Beach, UK
14. Siesta Key Public Beach, Siesta Key, United States
15. West Bay Beach, West Bay, Honduras
16. Cayo de Agua, Los Roques National Park, Venezuela
17. Playa Manuel Antonio, Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica
18. Nai Harn Beach, Rawai, Thailand
19. Sharm El Luli, Marsa Alam, Egypt
20. Iztuzu Beach, Dalyan, Turkey
21. Playa Paraiso, Tulum, Mexico
22. Diani Beach, Diani Beach, Kenya
23. Palm-Eagle Beach, Aruba
24. Ngapali Beach, Burma/Myanmar
25. Maunganui Beach, Mount Maunganui, New Zealand