PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, Monday February 18, 2019 – One of Trinidad and Tobago’s most wanted men has been captured.
The Trinidad and Tobago Police Service (TTPS) did not identify the man but said in a statement yesterday that he was wanted in connection with a number of shootings and shooting-related offences.
The 30-year-old suspect was held during ‘Operation Strike Back’ exercises on Saturday, following intense surveillance. He was arrested for possession of a Glock 17 pistol, a magazine containing eight rounds of 9mm ammunition, an extended magazine, and 32 rounds of 9mm ammunition.
Police said two reputed gang leaders have also been charged for various offences.
In its statement, the TTPS noted that over the past five days since the police alert was raised to its highest level in light of an upsurge in criminal activity, “there was not a homicide, shooting or wounding attributed to gang-related activity, while in the five days prior to the raising of the police alert state to ‘Red’ there were 22 such incidents”.
More than 250 people have been arrested in connection with various offences including gang activity, shootings, outstanding warrants and gun and narcotic possession in anti-crime exercises that began since late last week.
Police Commissioner Gary Griffith has put law abiding citizens on notice that they may experience some inconvenience due to these intensified operations, but said it was necessary to deal with criminal activity and to maintain law and order across the country.